Lately, I've been in what I like to call an auburn lull. I have triumphed against the case of homelessness and laid eggs in my own nest now. Picture this: a lovely home across a quiet park and public pool. Good for the summer, pointless in the winter - as is the case with many sweet things in my life.
I’m actually writing not because I feel obliged to update, but rather to prove to myself that I still enjoy doing it, even though I feel like a failure at times.
Upon moving into my new saucy dwelling, I thought a new location meant a new perspective on the trials of everyday life. Unfortunately, the city just kicks my ass sometimes. This was not written in the brochure. Thus far, these past two months I’ve been bullied by a comedian on stage, gotten purse stolen while trying to dance to Daft Punk, rethought all friendships and relationships (for better or for worse) and exchanged one crummy job for one with more merit. All that stuff didn’t come easy. It felt like a freight train. It hurt. What eases my troubled is knowing I have the ability to choose what makes me happy.
Sappy as it sounds, I’ve forced myself to read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (BMV is champ when it comes to selling cheap books). 
As much as the book sounds like something Oprah would devote an hour of her segment towards, it was a personal profit. But I must say, I read a ton of gorey zombie comics so I'm allowed one sappy chick lit book per year! In all honesty, reading Rubin’s s self journey towards internal happiness was a reminder that frankly, I need to stop being such an uptight bitch. It’s the kind of slap in the face you’re just happy to get.
So, without sounding too Kumbaya, I’m continuing to live in the best city ever (sorry, Prague, Toronto gets dibs on my heart), continuing to be happy about the little things (even though it’s easier to be sad), and continuing to fight off bad comedians, purse thiefs and flakey friends. If New York is the city that never sleeps, Toronto is the city that never shuts ups. And why would it? It’s got some a new chatty, happy-go-lucky resident now.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Toronto's Resident Redhead Wont Shut Up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"What keeps me going is trying to figure out what keeps me going" - Bruce Nauman.
ReplyDeleteI think you have a distinct voice in your writing and I enjoy reading it. Please continue to write more!
And I hear ya on getting your ass kicked by the City. You just gotta keep on keepin' on'.
When the going gets tough,theres nothing stronger than a red head!.x.
ReplyDeleteYou two are a hoot! Thank you for the comments.
ReplyDeleteI missed your thoughts!
ReplyDeleteAww, wow, I can't believe someone would miss my ramblings. But thanks! You're the sweetest.
ReplyDeletegreat post. darling, i love your blog. just stumbled upon it, will return for more.
ReplyDeletem.fay
http://www.amateurcouture.com
hope you stop by and say hello x
Hi -I'm a new follower of you .http://laughingmonkeystick.blogspot.com/For every follower that joins I will be releasing a Unicorn back into the wilds of the New Jersey boardwalk. So please do your part by joining and saving these special creatures. Thanks
ReplyDeleteMr. Monkey
i need a summer read! i think i might check this book out! i love this post and love your blog! a definite follow!
ReplyDeleteloueladaniele.com
http://samirayadi.blogspot.com/ :)
ReplyDeleteMr. Monkey, that's the strangest comment anyone has ever given me! Thanks for your wackiness.
ReplyDelete