Thursday, May 13, 2010

One Size Does Not Fit All

I’m not the kind of girl to collect fashion magazines religiously. I’m not the kind of girl that really follows trends (mostly because my bank account wont let me). Hell, just last week I bought a romper in Kensington Market that makes me look like an amish polygamist of some sort. Point is, I don’t take fashion and fashion magazines all that seriously but one issue I take seriously is the representation of women in said magazines.

It seems a model's body mass index drops lower and lower each year. For a long time now, people have promised to hire models that are “healthy with the proper BMI”. I even remember Milan flirting with the idea to ban too skinny models from runways. Hah, like that actually happened! It seems no one can keep their word when it comes to promoting healthy body image in this kind of industry.

It turns out there is a microscopically small portion of designers out there that do give a damn about body image. But we’re far from celebrating with chocolates and champagne just yet.

One designer I've come to respect is Mark Fast. Flipping through a copy of Flare – the one fashion magazine I respect - I repeatedly noticed shout outs and photos of his runway shows that (gasp!) feature some “plus size models”.



I use silly quotations around this term because really, these women don’t really look plus size per se. They just look like the average woman. Stunning. Refreshing.

Then, recently during a segment on Fashion Television, I saw that the Prada Fall 2010 runway show also featured more bum and bosom than Karl Lagerfeld could ever handle!



I will be upfront and say yes Lagerfeld is an “artiste” and all that, but as a decent, compassionate human being I think he sucks. I’ve read quotes from him saying things like “no one wants to see a curvy woman”. No one? I am some one and let me tell you, when I look at runway shows or fashion spreads like every average woman, what sells the garment for me is knowing that it fits beautifully on a natural, curvy body and not a bag of bones. When I see things like this:



I just want to upchuck. I’m sure there’s other women out there that feel the same way as much as I'm sure there are naturally thin women out there that just can't help being that way. Damn it. I know designers use ultra thin models because they claim they don’t want the body to detract from the garment. The clothes have to stand out, not the tits or the ass. But I think they’ve got it all wrong. When I see some alien/pogo stick hydrid walking down the runway, I lose interest in the clothing. It automatically doesn't sell it for me. Such a shame.

I just hope that designers like Mark Fast and fashion labels like Joe Fresh (they opened the latest runway show with the stunning, notable plus size model Crystal Renn) continue to step out the norm and showcase a variety of different body types on the runway. It'll be really refreshing.

To restrain myself from neverending whining, I’ll just quickly add that Crystal Renn shares 1/3 the cover of Glamour’s June issue.



Again, I’m not one for fluffy fashion magazines but this copy is definitely worth buying. I’d like to think that if this cover sells the most copies, Renn and other women like her can be cover girls more often.

4 comments:

  1. Karl Lagerfeld doesn't like women, so curves are obviously out! I wonder how CoCo Chanel would have felt about that. Plus, designers who say they don't want a body to detract from the clothes should just hang the stupidly overpriced balls of cloth on a hanger and save the money they pay models. I actually feel this way every time I go into American Apparel: unisex isn't unisex because women have curves!!!!
    ps "pogo stick hybrid" I DIE WITH LAUGHTER!
    It must be beyond difficult though for girls who have eating disorders and WANT to get better to see this kind of body so celebrated.
    pps I read somewhere from a reader of a magazine that they met crystal renn and thought "she's skinny! she doesn't LOOK plus size!" She just happens to have a slammin' normally sized body which makes her even cooler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this post a lot.

    I think it's also important to note what you touched on about the 'plus size models' thing because dude, they are NOT plus size. It's great that they are getting some women with curves on the runway but seriously? They almost erase the good act with the label of 'plus size'. You stupid industry that is what EVERYONE ELSE LOOKS LIKE.

    I remember complaining about all this once in front of a super skinny friend and she got cut at me about how she also should not be treated indifferent just because she *is* extremely skinny. She can't help it, that is also a natural body shape. Soo..sometimes I eat my words. But everyone I know with the exception of maybe 4 (to be very honest)- all do not have super thin bodies like in the magazines.

    k, sorry. love your blog, take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I have a ton of really naturally thin, petite friends and I hope they don't think I'm bashing them - I'm not. I know there's a ton of babes out there that are just born that small. No big deal. What is a big deal is the lack of other body types getting equal opportunities to strut their stuff in the fashion world. I just want equality for all shapes and sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very important stuff here! the fashion industry needs to have more diversity in body types!

    ReplyDelete