I was 14 years old when my parents decided they were going to be cool for once and let me have my first dog. We went to the Toronto Humane Society – it’s just the right place to go. I’ve heard nothing but good things about THS. The people affiliated with the organization take such good care of all the animals. We walked around and looked at all the dogs. I noticed there were more big dogs (pit bulls, Dobermans) than there were smaller dogs. I felt really upset about that because I knew most families (I admit, we were one of them) only adopt the cuter, smaller, more family oriented pet. LOOKISM EXISTS EVEN IN DOG POUNDS!
I remember vaguely there was this angry looking couple before us in line to sign papers and they had plans on getting the dog we set our eyes on. They were giving me this weird, nasty vibe. The ladies working at the Society noticed the reeking smell of BITCH as well. Luckily, if the workers at THS don’t like your attitude or find you incapable of the responsibilities that come with adopting a pet, they can turn you down, no questions asked. I really appreciate this because usually I see a lot of people just carelessly giving away things and living creatures away to anyone, anywhere.
The lady took my folks in a separate room and explained to them the couple before us “didn’t look like the loving kind” and alas, we got the rights to adopt our sweet Bella. I really wanted to name my first dog Tori (I was going through a Tori Amos obsessed phase during that time. I owned all her albums and was deeply in love with her obscurity). I realized I shouldn’t rename her just because she was already trained to respond to her biological name. I mean, she’s not P Diddy. She can’t just change her name every week because she’s bored and wants her name in the tabloids. Yeesh!
(that's yours truly and a very sleepy Bella)
Oh, I’m turning into John Grogan, writer of Marley and Me. Not that it’s a bad thing! I love to gush about my dog. I’m as annoying as one of those people at parties who whip out their wallet to reveal eight photos of their kids. I’m in love with the amount of happiness my pride and joy, Bella Buia, brought to my life. Oh, but lets not forget her downfall. She pees in the house when new people come over. She sounds like Chewbacca when she snores. She scratches at your feet and won’t leave you alone during dinner time. She’s so clingy and a huge diva, like Farrah Fawcett but in dog form.
But I just continue to love her. To quote John Grogan:
“A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and [s]he will give you his [hers].”
Now, it just pains me to open up the latest edition of MacLeans and learn about a woman who drowned her kittens and was only fined $5. A man also got away with killing his 6 puppies with a hammer. A couple paragraphs down it explained that in Canada, pets are considered personal property and we are entitled to dispose of them any way we want.
This is just fucking heartbreaking.. What kind of senseless moron gets off on beating innocent, cute puppies to death with a hammer? Really, it’s sickening to realize it’s foreplay for some people. After I barfed in my mouth a little bit, I decided I had to find out what can be done to punish those who cause cruelty to animals. I always tell my folks, who share the same love for animals, if a person is capable of killing a defenceless animal with their bare hands for no reason, God knows what they are able to do to a human being. One way to make a change is to support and petition for Bill C-373 which gives better protection to animals and harsher punishment for those who cause cruelty.
I think as people we need to be more compassionate of all the animals we share our planet with. Just because they may not struggle like we do – work, kids, bills, etc – doesn’t mean they aren’t as deserving of life as we are.
Here are some websites for anyone interested in further investigating:
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals International
Animal Cruelty Law (Canada)
Bill C-373
Toronto Humane Society...ALWAYS LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS!!
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Paws and Laws
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well put. I'm going to follow your blog, I'm your LJ friend!
ReplyDeleteawesome, thanks so much =)
ReplyDelete"I was 14 years old when my parents decided they were going to be cool"
ReplyDeleteIs it something they can just turn on and off? My mom once tried to be cool. I think it involved street slang better relegated to Brooklyn.
I wonder what it means to "not look like the loving kind". Could it be they were just an uglier family than yours?
"John Grogan, writer of Marley and Me. Not that it’s a bad thing!" Not at all: for one, you'll get to stand at the toilet. You'll find it is much faster...
I think this John Grogan quote is more prescient: "Oh, horse-BLEEP! The BLEEPING dog just chewed my slippers to pieces! Mother-BLEEP...."
I can't cite that quote, but I'm sure he said it at some point.
You'd like European Law Natalia. They take animal rights more seriously than anything outlined in Bill C-373. If the Lisbon Treaty ever gets ratified, they'll be more stringent still.
Do they take animal rights more seriously then Brigitte Bardot? That woman was hot back in the day. What guy didn't masterbate to a poster of her? But that woman is whaaaaack now. And hates everyone. Lucky for her, everyone hates her in return. She's got a lot of beef with a lot of countries. Hmm. Strange ladies attract me....I dont know how to control it.
ReplyDelete"What guy didn't masturbate to a poster of her?"
ReplyDeleteHahahahhahha. I prefer to entertain more exotic fantasies. Often they'll involve blimps.
Strange ladies...hmmm...what about Margret Atwood? She's among the strangest. Don't bother reading Oryx and Crake. It's whiny and bad and filled with porn. The Penelopiad, on the other hand, was very well thought out.
you think excaiming how a book is "filled with porn" is going to repell me!? THINK AGAIN.
ReplyDeleteNatalia, the Hustler reader. Has some flair.
ReplyDeleteThen again, your tastes could well be questioned: you describe, in one of your posts, "Sophie's World" as being a good book. That is absolutely not the case. I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it. Tsk, tsk lady.
On a lighter and unrelated note, I discovered a disease that makes me chuckle: "Whooping Cough". Say it out loud and tell me it doesn't make you smile. If laughter is the best medicine, I suggest to you that it is impossible to get sick with something called "Whooping Cough".