Monday, March 9, 2009

Conquering One Addiction at a Time

Hello, my name is Natalia and I’m a recovering Facebookaholic. I’ve been sober for a week now.

Yes, I am one of maybe two people in the entire world who do not have Facebook [anymore]. It was like an annoying Siamese twin I decided to be surgically removed. Everyone and their dog has Facebook. Literally! Even my dog had Facebook! Lame, right? Truth is I was bored one day and by impulse I decided to make her one. She's so cute, c'mon! I'm over it now, but there are other bitches who can’t take their paws off Facebook still.


At first Facebook was this nice opportunity to keep in touch with high school friends and co-workers but then all of a sudden we were hooked on tagging every single photo and survey we complete, uploading videos for comments and poking random guys with cute profile pictures. Then suddenly, every time you’re logging in, you’re lurking people’s walls to see what they did and who they talked to that day. It was then I knew the only options were to delete it or continue to be hooked on crack. I’m no Amy Winehouse, so I said yes to rehab.

We can argue for days the pros and cons of Facebook like I stated before. For me, the cons weighed much too heavy. Sure, pleasant, even flirtatious comments can be nice. Compliments on my profile picture can make me feel warm inside. But I realized majority of these people on this website would never say such a thing in person. This was especially hard to swallow. I am a person with very little friends in real life. My Friday nights consist of me cleaning my room and playing Scrabble independently on the computer. I don’t get that many phone calls or emails from people wanting to converse or join in on an activity with me. When I had Facebook, I had ample amounts of people who asked me “what’s up?”. Now, I will admit, without Facebook I feel much lonelier.

When I told a few people of my admittance into Facebook Rehab, they gasped in shock, laughed and told me I would never be able to live without it. I have reached that point in my life where I just don’t get off on silly comments from people I barely know. I miss face to face interaction. I miss the good ol’ days when people phoned or knocked on my door, asking me to come out and play. I hate the insincerity that comes with a Facebook message. It’s too impersonal for me at this stage of my life. Our parents survived just fine without such a thing – mostly because this wasn’t invented yet. If they can live a good life without a dozen different technologies taking over, we can get by just as fine.

With Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, MSN Messenger, texting and more, I truly believe we will slowly fail at handling face to face interaction. We won’t be able to function socially offline. We will just go mute.


This week has been extremely refreshing. Now that I’m no longer updating my info on pretentious indie bands I’m listening to, uploading hot photos I took of myself for attention or sharing naughty youtube videos with friends, I plan on doing new things with my free time. I’ve compiled a small list for those interested in following my footsteps.

Top Ten Things We Could Do Instead Of Lurking On Facebook:

10. Learn a new language. Zu Hölle mit dem Internet!!!!
9. Go on a beautiful hike at Belfountain.
8. Throw a dinner party.
7. Get a haircut.
6. Read a good book like Sophie’s World.
5. Meditate.
4. Clean your room.
3. File your taxes.
2. Phone your mother.
1. Watch paint dry.


I am going to continue to live a Facebook free life. I think I can do it without any slip ups. But if one does occur, I’ll be sure to call my sponsor right away and report myself.

8 comments:

  1. I'm more or less Amy Winehouse.
    My hair gets bigger & bigger everyday.
    And we already know about how much freaking winged eyeliner I let make love to my skin.
    Now, I just need to scuttle on all fours, stealing people's drinks from holiday resorts & I'm there!

    Oh yes, and lose roughly a million pounds.
    And it hasn't been a weak, you liar!
    Its been like, a day!

    (: But even so, I'm proud of you!
    Even though I can't tag you in awesome notes anymore! Sob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with you on this until you said texting is no good.

    I like it! I'm a lameass and do my best to choose the perfect words for the ones that matter, it's like art in 150 characters or less.

    Also, I just finished De Niro's Game if you want to borrow it. Kind of hard to get the hang of, but it's a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, maybe I should have worded it differently for you, Anton. I too enjoy texting, although it's not my favourite form of communication. A little late night naughty texting is like warm butter on toast, even though it's not the healthiest choice of food. Oooh, my little lame analogies. You love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto i deleted my fb and myspace like two weeks ago with no intention of going back. but i have twitter, now...but it's not as bad and it's more interesting cause it's new, i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm pretty sure you could do all those things and have a facebook at the same time.

    i don't understand what the big deal is with facebook. why is everyone so addicted?

    the lack of face-to-face communication is a big issue in communication and media studies. but honestly, i just think its cliche and holier-than-thou to talk about. if we mention how facebook ruins lives, we might as well mention all the other neurotic things people do, which is pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make a valid point, Jenn. thanks for your comment and thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously only have facebook so I can be invited to things. I don't really have anything on my profile, and only post pictures from events with other facebook people for them.

    I still open it up every other second though, to see if I've been invited to something.

    which I might get invited to maybe one thing every couple months that they actually want me to be there.

    most of the time it's people hit send all and invite everyone. one time I got invited to this party for someone that I hadn't seen in a long time, and I was really happy to be invited, thinking, wow, she remembered me, and wants me to come to her party. I felt really good

    I then realized I just happened to be on her friend list of 300+ whom she also invited to said party.

    I was a lot less happy.

    I feel like if I delete facebook no one would ever invite me to do anything ever again.

    but at the same time no one really does anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when random people just add me to FB and they don't ever talk to me. They just add anyone so they can think they're popular. But honestly, I'd rather have 3 true friends than 300+ fake ones.
    Like I stated in the post, I feel shunned from the social world now, and I too feel lonely and uninvited. I guess you gotta get the hang of it and if you really want to spend time with someone (or a group of people) you can always reach them via telephone.

    ReplyDelete