Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good Nachos, Good Music, Good Night

This past Friday the 13th at Sneaky Dee’s, the unsigned and undeniably ambitious Reverse Mount Rushmore warmed up a full house in honour of The Isosceles Project’s CD release.

Due to mutual friends, I have had the pleasure of knowing 3/4 of the band for a number of years now. I guess you can say as a wallflower, I sat back and watched them grow as musicians.

With such devotion to their instruments, the foursome definitely made the crowd aware they are not your typical rock band. Their laid-back personalities shift once all instruments are plugged in, ready to go. They are never shy to make bold riffs and experiment with sound. Brent Fagan’s vocals are classic and rarely gets overshadowed by heavy chords. Whether playing at a bar or in a grungy basement, watching these men jam never gets boring.

I will admit, this has been quite the pleasant departure from Mike Mikocic’s former band The Harold Wartooth. Although they had a great, loyal fan base for many years, Reverse Mount Rushmore seem much more unified.

Danny Lindsay, also of The Big City Nights, adds a great touch to the ensemble with his passionate talent for all instruments and raw vocals on songs including Bus Orgasm.

Reverse Mount Rushmore are not a band soley formed to be pretentious or intimidating. Sure, their fine musicality can make anyone who’s ever picked up an instrument a little jealous. With great timing, they play like no one’s business, until every sweat bead falls from their forehead and onto the floor. This band, like every other up and coming band, willingly leaves a lot of room to grow and master their craft. I believe this band is here to stay and satisfy all stoners with their rock anthems. Take my word for it when I say that every show from here on in, will only get better.


(all photos courtesy of Jeff Karpala)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, it's very obvious that you're in Journalism, and that you're good at it.

    This is a compliment. Shake hands?

    ReplyDelete