Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stuck On Music



A little over a year ago my friend Pete Nema was putting together a music website and asked me to be a contributor. Being the huge music enthusiast that I am, and a whore for bylines, I immediately jumped on board. Sticky Magazine was launched with the help of Pete and a small group of writers and photographers. Just recently we quietly celebrate our one year anniversary. I look back at this milestone with complete euphoria. This past year has been life changing and really, I can only thank Pete for that.

Writing for Sticky has opened a lot of doors for me. I’ve attended a slew of shows and covered some rad events like North by Northeast and the Verge Music Awards. I’ve interviewed some of my favourite bands and made a lot of friends – and one enriching boyfriend - in the music industry I am so grateful for. Matthew Angus, Lucas Samuels, Melody Lamb, Whitney Pineault, the gangs at Buying Shots, Take Media and AudioBlood, just to name a few! If I wasn’t Sticky staff, would I still be flooding your twitter feed?!

I was over the moon when I discovered Sticky made it in the top 20 in CBC Radio 3’s Searchlight for the best Canadian music website. I think I can speak for all of us at Sticky when saying how thankful we are for all the votes and support from friends, bands and publicists. Although we didn’t make it in the top 10, I’m still pretty damn proud of us. I will continue to vote for my other friends in the music writing biz until the contest ends March 10. I’m sure the rest of the staff will do so as well.

Alas, I end this love letter with my recent interview with Verge Music Awards winners Michou. You can read my full report of the night here. Now, we all know I love gingers as much as I love music. I had a nice ginger moment with Mike Hargreaves backstage. Michou has been one of the nicest bands I’ve interviewed to date! Listen here:





To reiterate, I’m oozing with gratitude over this past year and giddy with anticipation for what lies ahead for me and Sticky Magazine. Many thanks over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment