
I remember the first time I heard of The Constantines. Slightly sleazy, but it was in the back of a van in the middle of the night with this dude whose affection I’ve spontaneously stolen (God knows how). Let's be honest, back then, making a good mixtape was a sure way to get laid. I still have the one he made me to this day. Track 4 included You Are a Conductor by the great Cons. I made him rewind so we can listen to it again. He told me the meaning of the song and the background of the band he claimed his favourite. Soon it would be mine. There’s such a thrill when listening to an amazing new song in the company of someone who’s just as new and amazing. The soundtrack to falling in lust is an important one. I’m glad a couple more tracks were of The Cons (Love in Fear, On to You, Shine a Light). Although my feelings towards aforementioned dude never lasted long, my feelings for such a pivotal band in Canadian music grew more and more by the album.
There are many incredible moments in my life where The Constantines’ albums were played fittingly in the background: a romantic drive to a Niagara motel, a mad 2 mile hike home in the winter, missing the train and getting lost on a rainy day in Paris and playing road hockey with the boys just to name a few. There’s no other band I want to hear more than the Constantines to cheer me up. There’s no other band I want to talk about on a first date to break the ice. There’s no other band I want to see live a dozen times.
Speaking of, I am glad I was there to see them (sans keyboardist/guitarist Will Kidman) play their 10th anniversary show at Lee’s Palace back in December. The Constantines never put on a bad show and I like them for that. I remember at this particular show, for the encore, Feist joined Webb and co. on stage to sing Islands in the Stream. Perfect. I get so high off the band and the riffs and the sing-alongs.
The news that the band is now on an indefinite hiatus actually breaks what’s left of my heart. All I’ve got are the great memories of their shows and the feelings I had when listening to their albums for the first time. Hopefully great things are lined up for each band member post-Constantines.
So, like the song I’d constantly listen to on my headphones, to the Cons I say goodnight baby, and Amen!
And to cap things off, just to channel John Cusack in High Fildelity, here are my top 5 favourite Constantines songs. Dig it. It was damn hard picking 5. They’re all great. But, these 5 have more personal meaning to me (And, I’m being grumpy. No MP3s. Go out and get the damn albums).
5. Hotline Operator, off of Tournament of Hearts. The guitar makes this song.
4. Love in Fear, also off of Tournament of Hearts. This song brings back so many memories driving in cars in the middle of the night.
3. Hard Feelings off their last record, Kensington Heights. Another song that sounds just as good, if not better, live.
2. Little Instruments, off of their debut, Constantines. “Went out chasing landmarks, fell asleep at the bar”. Webb just wrote my bio right there. Song’s amazing live, everyone gets real into it.
1. Soon Enough off of Tournament of Hearts. God, the build-up and the lyrics! Webb’s voice is stunning here.
good tope five... id leave out soon enough... dallas green ruined that for me. and throw in onto you or young lions.
ReplyDeleteI've luckily never heard or attempted to youtube the Dallas Green version of it. So I'm good!
ReplyDeleteSOON ENOUGH rules! the constantines are also one of my favourite bands. they are so freaking awesome. if you like them, you should check out lucero. and bellewoods. they are more mellow, but similar. i think you'd appreciate them.
ReplyDeletesmall world, you're from toronto. i live right across the lake from you!
(by the way i saw you on wiwt2)