Friday, August 20, 2010

The Susan Lucci of Dating



A new girl friend of mine made a comment the other week that really made me think. Obviously, when girls get together we mostly dish about dates and dudes and the hardships that come with finding a decent one that doesn’t keep you a dirty secret (I know, how Sex and the City of us!). Her comment, come to think of it, parallels with something a male friend of mine made when I told him my last boyfriend pulled a Jesse James on me.

She: “It’s hard to get into a serious relationship in the city”

He: “The city is full of sluts”

I have no idea where to go from here. Do I defend the city? Do I defend myself? I’m pretty sure this girl has never been to Brampton or Georgetown or Orangeville. It’s much harder dating in the suburbs, unless your definition of a good time is overeating at East Side Mario’s, walking around the mall and seeing D list movies.

Since living in the downtown core of Toronto, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting some interesting folks. You know, aside from those that ask me for change, start drunken fights or defecate in the park in broad daylight. I’m talking about real interesting folks. Those with bewildering point of views, a sense of adventure and bold ambitions. Those who actually give a detailed response to “What’s going on?” Major deal breaker: saying “not much” every time. Yawn.

When it comes to dating downtown, I’m a fan. Subcription, please? There are a million places to go, a million things to do in comparison to the bleak ‘burbs. On the downside, there’s a bevy of pretentious, snobby people who only want to talk about art and eat vegan cheese. Maybe my friend is right, you can have all the fun you want in the city but can you really settle down here? Since I don’t want to settle down just yet (or ever?), I’ve spoken to friends that do and the consensus is to nab a sweetheart and start families in the small towns they come from.

Now, just because I’m not ready to share an apartment with a paramour and purchase the latest Honda minivan, doesn’t mean I’ll sleep with half the male population in the city just for kicks. Well, that could have been me a couple years ago but with the dawn of a new decade comes the dawn of a new Natalia; my heart has somehow fallen on my sleeve and I can’t get it off. Like I do with everything that comes my way, I roll with it. Sometimes you get an itch inside of you (not the one that requires Vagisil, gross!) to seek out someone actually decent and worthy of your time. Unfortunately, I never read the manual on this kind of thing, so I keep forgetting about this weird thing called “feelings”. This may come on the first date or on the fourteenth date. It’s annoying but you can’t deny it or else it will keep you up all night – like the unfortunate [looking] babies on Teen Mom.



I can't say why dear friends come to me for dating advice since I have the worst track record of all time. I’m the Susan Lucci of dating. None the less, I notice I keep repeating myself to all my girl friends who find themselves in tricky situations with boys who clearly can’t grow into men. Perhaps these friends dig my brutal honesty and the “don’t stand for that, take him out with the trash” attitude I seem to have. Too bad they don’t dig the idea to walk away when things get sketchy and find someone better. Unlike these friends, I have the ability to walk the other way when said things get sketchy and hit the fan. I thank all those Bikini Kill albums I used to worship in my teen years. I love being there for my friends but sometimes I’m sick of consoling those who run into the same problem over and over again. Instead of repeating myself any further, because I can name people at the moment who should know a thing or too, I’ll share my take right here and now. Capiche?

- If he constantly texts instead of calling, he’s basically telling you he doesn’t have balls. A real man calls and speaks to you voice-to-voice, if not in person, if he truly cares to know how your day went.

- If you’ve been seeing a guy for a while and he still hasn’t introduced you to his friends, chances are he’s sleeping with someone else his friends know about.

- If a dude is too scared to hold your hand or kiss in public even after the fact that you’ve declared yourselves exclusive, he’s a sad wimp. No one should date a sad wimp.

- If the only time he wants to hang out is at 3 a.m., you obviously know why. No one ever really becomes girlfriend material after 3 a.m. Vice versa for the guys. Watch out for us man eaters.

- Finding your soul mate at the grocery store is a crock of shit. Chances are, it’ll happen while dancing at a club to Lil Wayne. And by soul mate I mean big mistake. Don’t stress over rushing into a monogamous relationship. I can’t stress how annoying it is to see so many girls whining on their Facebook status about a lack of a boyfriend and posting pictures of couples kissing on Tumblr. I want to just to punch something in the throat every time I see that nonsense.

Alas, I will end with saying that sure, sometimes at the end of the day I think we all want someone to play Scrabble with. Until then, make like yours truly and downloaded the PC version you can play all on your own.

20 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post! Hahaha.

    I want to punch those people in the throat too! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had something good to say but then I read Shanes comment and i laughed. Now i dont remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! you are brilliant. i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this, absolutely amazing! haha. Thanks for writing. :) Your blog is incredible..glad I stopped by today. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. "couples kissing on tumblr" LOL I had an excuse on my blog when i did that! I just had a really beautiful whirlwind relationship that went far too fast and was gone before I could process it. If you think Toronto is bad, New York City is hell on earth. Guys are either sleazy or in relationships or want to be exclusive but only for a month before moving on to something else. I have no problem walking away from a bad thing, but what to do when you have to walk away from a good thing? Its like everyone is in these ultra serious relationships and getting married or acting like a 16 year old in a 23 year old costume. UGHH dating is such utter shit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a quandary. I've just moved from a big city to the suburbs and I really want to go back. I think cities can be better if you've got friends to point you in the direction of friends of friends. But then again, my track record could trump anyones bad score in the past. There seem to be A LOT of nice girls out there, but they mostly seem to get snapped up by losers who don't deserve to look onto their comely faces, let alone be granted the right to with them. It's a maddening thing some times - how the hell do you find and connect with the good ones?
    I like you're comment about the grocery store, I put up a post to similar effect. But if there are so many of you lovely girls out there somewhere, why can't I find any of you? Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. uhhhhg suburban dating is hell and you pretty much have to have a vehicle to do anything even remotely decent. I'd rather try out 5 different people doing fun things then settle for one person (out of boredom) and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tips were right on the mark! Spot on. Loved this!


    joellenlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kallie, in reponse to you "what to do when you have to walk away from a good thing?" comment, I say you have to do is with dignity and grace. Sometime's someone's a good thing but in a bad time (i may or may not be speaking of my own current situation).
    Someone can totally blow your mind but if they're keeping you on the sidelines and not treating you the way you want to be treated, you have to say "peace out dude". I'm not a back burner kind of girl.
    Sucks, the number of men who don't know what they want is BALLOONING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. :D Thanks. I'm the process of waiting to be accepted ... the cogs are turning ... quite slowly, as usual. But don't worry, you'll be one of the first to know:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm already in love with your blog... in fact I think this might actually become an addiction! You did a wonderful job with the tips, and the story was so true of so many woman when they get together, especially in dating life. So many can relate!!!

    Great blog... you know I'm following (possibly even stalking you!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Natalia:D Just wanted to let you know that the book is on the way:D I've changed my blog name a little, so if you're not getting any of my updates on your DASHBOARD then that could be the reason. To fix it, all you should need to do is just unfollow and then refollow me. That should do the trick:D Thanks again for reading my stuff, your comments are ALWAYS much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. dang. You're so right. I won't pretend that I don't get hung up on people, hard, but it takes a long time for me to give them the satisfaction of knowing it. Maybe that's twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are times when I seriously want to grab my friends, shake them and smack some sense into them. It gets frustrating when they can't follow your tips, which were dead on. Still hanging in there for that little scrap some guy will throw them when they deserve so much MORE. I have that scrabble playing guy. Funny thing is, we don't play scrabble like we used to when were dating! ;-) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Natalia. Good unflinching advice! Interesting from a guy's point of view too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. about the texting instead of calling, I think you're wrong. We like texting as we like emailing because written is better than spoken when you can't see the other person's face. 70% of my fights are at the phone. The phone is made for short exchanges of informations, and not for affection, that's what we think. And that's why the risk you run as a male of upsetting a girl at the phone is very high.
    Please, please, don't tell me about your day at the phone. You're going to think I don't give a shit and that's not true, and eventually we're going to break up because "I don't care about your feelings."
    sorry for my english and by the way wonderful blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just now read this post and I think it was great! I love the tips and I think a couple of them are spot on (him not introducing you to his friends, or him not showing affection in public, especially. I realize every guy's PDA comfort level is different but if he doesn't show any sign of affection towards you in public, there is usually something wrong.)

    I live in a suburb of Portland, but I have been down in LA for the past couple of weeks and, being newly single, I have noticed the crazy differences in the way dating works in the city. The LA vs. the suburbs comparison is most noticeable, but even the differences between a big city like Los Angeles and a smaller city like Portland are astounding. I have found the people in the city to be more interesting, sure, but also more pretentious (as you mentioned), more aggressive, and generally more confident (which could be good or bad). The thing they all have in common: dating is confusing everywhere I am. haha

    ReplyDelete